Jomtien, 12th February, 2009

Today I have been sober for five days.

Yesterday I was slightly naughty, in as much as I went to a pub for my evening meal, but I was a good boy because I went home early and alone. At no point during the evening did I feel like a drink.

Th girl who I took home on Tuesday night kept calling me, but this time I resisted. I had a fitful sleep, but still made my 9 a.m AA meeting this morning. There are a lot of visitors in town – mainly North American, and there were some very good ‘shares’.

I am feeling better every day I stay sober – both physically and mentally.

This is especially surprising, when I consider that I am feeling very melancholy about my friend Dave.

Dave’s lady called me this morning. She told me she was calling from Hua Lamphong Railway Station and was on her way back to her parents’ home in the South of Thailand.

She was in a very distressed state, and it was difficult to calm her down sufficiently so that she could let me know exactly what had occurred to trigger her departure.

She said that she hadn’t slept all night and had succeeded in cleaning up Dave’s bed. Then he tried to get up and fell down on the floor again and she hurt her back badly when she tried to help him back into bed.

This morning she made him some breakfast but he threw it all over the floor in a rage, and proceeded to defecate, once again, in his bed. She said his speech was incoherent, and he was continuing to drink.

So this was the final straw, and she decided to leave.

I told her that she should not feel guilty for her decision to go, and that nobody would blame her for leaving. She had done far more for Dave than could be reasonably expected of anyone, and I said she should go home and have some rest.

I promised to let her know if there were any developments.

Dave has been taking Ativan (lorazepan) for a long time now, and the effects of this powerful drug has undoubtedly aggravated an already disastrous situation. He takes them like sweets, and apart from being very habit forming, (and if taken to excess will induce suicidal tendencies), it increases the effects of alcohol, which should never be taken when on this drug.

Today I sent an sms to one of Dave’s friends in Bangkok, advising him of the current situation, and leaving it to him to let other ‘acquaintances’ know, as he saw fit.

I have tried to contact Dave, but he is not answering his phone, so I sent him an sms advising him that his lady had gone, and imploring him to stop drinking – if only for a few days. I have no idea whether he will read this message, but I have serious doubts.

I’m not too sure where we go from here. I will try to keep in contact with interested parties, including Dave’s octogenarian English doctor.

There is no doubt that unless the greatest miracle of all happens, that Dave is on his way to his grave, but how long it will take, and to what depths of pain, degradation and despair he will suffer before he arrives there, is anyone’s guess.

I can only pray.

One thought on “Jomtien, 12th February, 2009”

  1. A True Story from the Jacksonville , Fl., Police Dept.
    A man goes to a party and has too much to drink. His friends plead with him to let them take him home. He says no he only lives a mile away.
    About five blocks from party, the police pull him over for weaving and ask him to get out of the car and walk the line. Just as he starts, the police radio blares out a notice of a robbery taking place in a house just a block away. The police tell the man to stay put, they will be right back and they hop a fence and run down the street to the robbery.
    The guy waits and waits and finally decides to drive home. When he gets there, he tells his wife he is going to bed, and to tell anyone who might come looking for him that he has the flu and has been in bed all day.
    A few hours later the police knock on the door. They ask if Mr. Joe is there and his wife says yes. They ask to see him and she replies that he is in bed with the flu and has been so all day.
    The police have his driver’s license. They ask to see his car and she asks why.

    They insist on seeing his car, so she takes them to the garage. She opens the door.
    There sitting in the garage is the police car, with all its lights still flashing.
    True story: Told by the driver at his first AA meeting.


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: